A blog dedicated to providing quotes by and posts relating to one of the most influential (and quotable!) authors of the twentieth century, G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936). If you do not know much about GKC, I suggest visiting the webpage of the American Chesterton Society as well as this wonderful Chesterton Facebook Page by a fellow Chestertonian

I also have created a list detailing examples of the influence of Chesterton if you are interested, that I work on from time to time.

(Moreover, for a list of short GKC quotes, I have created one here, citing the sources)

"...Stevenson had found that the secret of life lies in laughter and humility."

-Heretics (1905)
_____________________



Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Charles Dicken's son "specially recommended" GKC's book on his father

I had in an earlier post mentioned how Charles Dicken's daughter was an enthusiastic admirer of GKC's book on her father , with her saying it was the best book on Dickens since Forster's biography of him written 32 years before.

But this morning, while reading from a publication from 1912, I also found out that one of Dicken's sons also highly recommended it.

From Ohio Educational Monthly, volume 61 (1912) [emphasis mine]:

We sincerely hope that many teachers will study [Dicken's] life more or less in detail. to all who are interested we commend the following Books of Reference:

"My Father as I Recall Him," by Mamie Dickens: "Charles Dickens as I Knew Him," By George Dolby; "The Life of Charles Dickens," by John Forster; "Childhood and Youth of Charles Dickens,'" by Robert Langton, and "Life of Charles Dickens," by Chesterton. The last named is specially recommended by Alfred Tennyson Dickens, who is not well pleased with the Forster Life.

Just wanted to share that, since I had been unaware of it before. :-)

No comments: